What is a cafe racer?
Cafe racers were originally standard production bikes that had been customised by their owners and optimised for speed and handling for quick rides over short distances. They were mainly used in the 1950s and 1960s by young men to ride from biker cafe to biker cafe in London. Popular examples include the Triton and the Tribsa.
Nowadays, bike manufacturers have created factory-made cafe racer-styled bikes, which means the icon cafe racer style has regained popularity. Popular retro cafe racer models include the Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer and the Kawasaki W800 Cafe.
Find out more about cafe racers and cafe racer styling in our blog.
Why choose Bikesure for cafe racer insurance?
- Full range of cafe racers covered, including custom and retro-style bikes
- Agreed value cover available, ideal for custom cafe racers
- Cover for custom parts
- Riders with motoring convictions and criminal records covered
- Salvage retention available, so in the event of a total loss you can keep the salvage
- Multi-bike policies, including cover for both custom and standard bike collections
- Third party cover to ride friends’ bikes
- Wide range of modifications and customisations covered
- Easy payment options, including direct debit options
- Full range of comprehensive and TPF&T custom motorbike insurance available
- Legal cover up to £100,000 included free of charge
Is cafe racer insurance expensive?
Cafe racer insurance doesn’t have to be expensive, especially if you’ve bought a retro-styled cafe racer with modern technology. If you’ve built your cafe racer bike yourself, this can be a little more difficult and expensive to insure. However, if you get a quote from a specialist insurance broker like us, we’re often able to source lower cost insurance premiums for you than standard insurance providers.
What kind of insurance do I need for a cafe racer?
Modern and custom-built cafe racers can be insured fairly easily on comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, or third party only policies.
Custom cafe racers can be a little more difficult to insure as they will often require agreed value cover for extra peace of mind. Call us and we can help find you cover that suits your needs.