By -

Bikesure, a specialist motorbike insurance broker, has been answering customers’ queries about insurance for years and there are some topics that crop up time after time. Here the Bikesure team has put together a list of top ten FAQs.

1) What information do I need to provide to get insurance?

In addition to personal information you will need to provide full details of the make and model of your motorcycle, the year it was made and the registration number, its approximate value, the date you bought it, any modifications, details of claims, convictions or accidents and details of any security devices on your bike.

2) How can I prove my no claims bonus?

The easiest way is to use your renewal quote from your existing insurer. Otherwise you should contact your previous insurer who will usually send you a no claims bonus proof.

3) Do I need to declare any accidents?

You must state any accidents, claims or losses not just those relating to your motorcycle. It may not affect your premium, but failure to do this may invalidate your policy.

4) How soon will my bike be covered?

Usually cover can start as soon as your insurance provider has received payment and confirmed cover. If you are making alterations to an existing policy then these take effect immediately.

5) What is the difference between fully comprehensive insurance and third party?

Third party cover simply insures you in the event that you cause damage to other vehicles, persons, or property in an accident. It will not cover any damage to you or to your bike. It is the minimum level of cover that you need to drive on UK roads; having this in place is a legal requirement.
Fully comprehensive insurance covers the above but also your motorcycle in the event it was involved in an accident or by fire or theft. Malicious damage, flood damage and accidental damage would also be covered but exclusions can apply.

6) Is there anything I can do to reduce my insurance premium?

Often taking advanced motorcycle tests reduces your premium. Other measures include joining owner’s clubs, reducing your annual mileage and taking security precautions such as locking or garaging your bike.

7) Does my insurance cover me for riding other peoples’ bikes?

You need to check your policy carefully for this, as it depends on your insurance provider. Generally, the bike you are insuring must have an engine size of 351cc or over to get ‘ride your mates bike’ cover. This will usually give you third party only insurance whilst riding their bike. Of course in all cases you must have permission from the owner.

8) Can I insure riders other than myself for my bike?

It is usually possible to add a rider providing they have the relevant licence for the vehicle in question, but you need to provide full rider information including any previous claims and convictions.

9) Can I insure my bike gear as well?

Insurance providers often offer helmet and leathers policies that can be added alongside your bike policy.

10) Will my insurance cover me if I carry pillion passengers on my bike?

You can carry pillion riders on your motorbike provided that you are over 17 and hold either a full UK motorcycle licence, A1 or A2 motorcycle licence.

If you have a bike that is under 50cc, you can automatically carry a pillion if you have a full UK car licence dated from before 01/02/2001.

If you obtained your full UK licence after this date, you must take a CBT first, but this is then valid for life rather than the normal 2 years for CBT’s. This will only ever apply to mopeds.

In all cases, it’s advisable to tell your insurance company if you intend to carry a pillion to make sure they have catered for pillion cover.

You May Also Like …

Bikesure’s top tips to help you save money on your motorcycle insurance

Tips to help steer you to cheap motorbike insurance

Helmet, Leathers and Kit, Insurance, Motorbikes