Last Updated on
Children can ride pillion on a motorcycle, providing certain legal requirements are met. One of these is that the child must wear a suitable, well-fitting helmet and other protective gear. Children grow quickly, but having the correct fit of protective gear is essential – you can’t put a price on safety. Bikesure, the freethinking motorcycle insurance broker, has compiled a list of some gear to look out for to keep your little one safe on your bike.
- Back protectors and body armour offer children much needed protection in case of an accident. Knox has an Aegis back protector available in children’s size. Knox says the Aegis’ low profile cut, flexibility and lightweight, breathable design allows it to sit perfectly, comfortably and closely around the contours of the child’s back.
- Children’s motorcycle boots are widely available is a variety of different patterns, materials and designs, such as the range from motorcyclefootwear.co.uk. Remember to check the fit as kids’ feet grow so quickly. With that in mind, sites such as preloved.co.uk offer second hand items.
- Jackets offer protection, both from the elements and if you have an accident. There are a wide range on offer from websites such as Dobbs Leathers. If it’s leather jackets you’re looking at, Motorcycle News has a guide to what to look out for.
- Motorcycle gloves are a must for safety and it is important that the ones you choose for your child enables them to be able to grip well. Make sure you measure or try them on to get the right fit and feel for your child. Visordown.com has an article detailing the importance of wearing motorcycle gloves and it is definitely worth a read. Websites such as babybiker.co.uk offer a range of leather and textile gloves, including waterproof ones and gloves with extra padding, in just about every colour imaginable.
- Children will need to have their own helmet. Having the right fit is key and a helmet should always be purchased brand new to ensure its protection isn’t compromised. Nishua offer a full-face NTX kid’s helmet, which comes in a range of sizes, from XXS to large. Having a full-face helmet is ideal for children as they offer maximum protection and protect the child’s eyes from dust and debris.
- All-in-ones, trousers/jacket, waterproof, hi-vis, thermal-lined… the options are endless. Since kids that grow out of things quickly having lots of separate items for each eventuality can end up very costly. To save the dosh, look around for options that tick multiple boxes. Spada’s Duo Tech trousers are 100% waterproof and breathable, with the option of easily removing the quilted thermal lining when the weather gets warmer. The trousers are made from heavy duty Maxtex Nylon, with CE approved armour in the knees and a double-layered seat for increased protection and wear resistance. The trousers can also be teamed up with the Duo Tech jacket and zipped together as an all-in-one, offering a more secure and weather-tight fit. Both items also have fluorescent strips for added visibility.
Not strictly children’s clothing but to offer little pillion riders extra security, there are a number of different pillion grip options available. Bike-It supply pillion grippers or this pillion buddy, ideal if little arms can’t reach around the rider or securely hold on to the grab rail.
You May Also Like …
Helmet, Leathers and Kit