From the moment Marlon Brando stepped onto the screen in The Wild One, back in 1953, the die was cast, and it was cool to be a motorbiker. Here Bikesure, the freethinking specialist insurance broker, looks at the long-standing allure of motorbiking and lists eight top reasons why it continues to grow in popularity.
- Have more fun. Ask any motorbiker and they’ll tell you that although they won’t be able to quantify exactly why, the general consensus is that it’s to do with the sound of the engine, the pull of the acceleration and leaning into the corners. The great thing about motorbiking is that like any other skill the better you are, the more knowledge and hazard awareness you acquire, the safer and more enjoyable the ride becomes.
- Pay less. Motorbikes use less petrol, you don’t have to dip into your wallet so much at the pumps. Some bikes can achieve 60 to 70 miles per gallon and some smaller bikes and scooters now get over 100 mpg.
- Get parked easier. Often motorcycle parking bays are free, but don’t get caught out – check before you leave your vehicle anywhere. You don’t want to come back to a ticket.
- Beat your fellow travellers. There’s no question that riding a motorcycle in commuter traffic is quicker than riding a car. With care you can filter through the traffic and leave the slow moving or stationary cars behind.
- Look cool. Motorbike leathers are not only a great look, but leather is an excellent protective covering if you hit the ground. Although there are now new synthetic jackets and trousers with built-in body armour and reflective patches for night riding, leather remains a popular choice.
- Enjoy the view. Motorbikers all say they are more in touch with their surroundings than car drivers. When you’re on a motorbike you can enjoy spectacular views. You can explore smaller roads, pull over easily for photo opportunities and enjoy the general feeling of freedom that motorbiking brings.
- Make new friends. Motorbikers tend to meet up and ride out together at weekends. Take a look at local clubs – they’re a very friendly bunch.
You May Also Like …